From: John Juhasz [mailto:jjuh...@fiberoptions.com]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 1:35 PM
To: Massey, Doug C.; 'IEEE Forum'
Subject: RE: 950 Pollution degree detirmination

Doug,

While I would tend to agree that this may be acceptable,
and I would too like to see some sort of 'official'
determination on this (I may have a similar
situation arise in the next couple of months),
I would like to play devil's
advocate for a moment to further this discussion . . .

As you quoted " . . . EN60950 3rd Ed., clause 2.10.1 defines
Pollution Degree 1 " for components and subassemblies which
are sealed so as to exclude dust and moisture (see 2.10.7)."

It clearly states "for components and subassemblies". Your
Pollution 1 argument requires the use of the IP66 enclosure.
But is the product/enclosure pairing still considered
a 'component' or subassembly'?
The way I see it is that the product without the enclosure
is the component or subassembly, and that installing
the product in the IP66 enclosure make the product a
'top-level'. If for some reason the gasketing on the enclosure
fails, or it is not closed properly, the product
would not comply.

Seems risky to me?
(This is my opinion only, not that of my employer).

John Juhasz
Fiber Options
Bohemia, NY