  From: owner-emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:owner-emc-p...@ieee.org]On Behalf Of
k3row
  Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 12:51 PM
  To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
  Subject: Transformer isolation (military)

  Has anyone out there got any comments about the following:

  I have been involved with the import, into the U.K, of an item of "off the
shelf" military equipment from the U.S.A. This avionics item operates from 3
phase 115v rms. I am told that the internal step down power transformer,
which as far as I am concerned is required to provide double insulation
primary to secondary, is only required to have 500v rms isolation, primary
to secondary. This attribute, it is said, is compliant to MIL-T-27.

  There is always the perennial problem of matching military equipment
characteristics to modern safety specifications, particularly for existing
equipment, but 500v seems rather low, but then the MIL spec is current.

   Does anyone have any comments or advice about this.

  Dave Palmer