<c70e41e6f8e8d411b80700508bb8e2e526f...@caq010exch001u.corp.octel.com>,
Grant, Tania (Tania) <tgr...@lucent.com> wrote:

>Terry,
>
>I believe that the emphasis is on "traceability" of what the part actually
>is.   We have noticed that UL field inspectors are lately no longer
>accepting "good faith" explanations, but require actual proof.   The UL
>field office actually issued some letters regarding this intention some time
>back.
>
>If on this particular UL Procedure you have a certain standoff that requires
>to be "insulated" with a known flammability rating, you may have 2 avenues
>to explore:
>       1.   Have the UL inspection done at the manufacturing location where
>this standoff is assembled onto your PC card.   In that location should also
>be present "immediate packaging" containers that would identify what this
>non Recognized standoff is.    Then the standoff manufacturer's
>specifications should identify the flammability information of this part.
>If that flammability information is not available, then you are left to
>challenge the original UL engineering decision that this particular standoff
>needs to be "insulated."    This topic has been covered adequately by Rich
>Nute and others earlier.    (I've been horribly busy the last two days and
>am only now reading my e-mail.)
>
>       2.   What if you fitted the standoff with a UL Recognized sleeving
>where the information is printed on this tubing or sleeving?    Obviously,
>this change you would have to submit to UL.   I think it would be worth
>while exploring.
>
>Tania Grant,  tgr...@lucent.com
>Lucent Technologies, Switching Solutions Group
>Intelligent Network and Messaging Solutions

I didn't see the original post, so excuse me replying this way. If you
are sure that 4.4.3.3 applies, then DON'T settle by 'doing what you're
told'. That encourages safety agency personnel to invent their own
'standards'.

But are you sure that the demand is that it has to be 94V-2, or is it
just that it has to be 'traceable'? It might be a legitimate demand that
the part is identifiable so that your procurement people can't buy
Celluloid ones from Sum Yung Gai (apocryphal purveyor of guaranteed
UNtraceable components to the unwary trade).
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Foxhunters suffer from