Hi Courtland,

In terms of regulations, a wireline telecom product must comply with
requirements set out by the China Commodity Inspection Bureau (CCIB) and the
State Administration of Import and Export Commodity Inspection (SACI)
covering safety aspects (if included within the current scope), and the
Ministry of Information Industry (MII) for telecom requirements.

The CCIB is the agency involved with the inspection of products imported
into China. The scope of products include switching power supplies, personal
computers and telecommunications terminal equipment.  For IT&T equipment,
the appropriate standard is known as ITE-GB4943, which is a derivation of
IEC 60950.  China is a member of the IECEE CB scheme, however this is only
used as a basis for approval.  They still issue their own safety
certification.

For Telecoms, a network access license is required from the MII before your
E1 product can be sold.  This requires testing in a Chinese lab (we use one
in Beijing).

EMC is part of both the CCIB and MII regimes, however, telecom products are
tested for EMC as part of the MII's network access licence.  As you've
noted, like the telecom testing, EMC must also be performed in China.

Hope this is of assistance.  Feel free to contact me off line for more
information or details of our Beijing approvals office.

Best Regards,
Martin.