Hi Bob, Pete, Gert:

>   A common equipotential environment is the goal. It's unfortunate we ever
>   started with the terms earthing or grounding.

Absolutely!

Furthermore, the equipotential environment can
be, and in some cases is, largely independent
of whether the protective conductor is connected
to earth with a reasonably low resistance.

Indeed (and this can be seen as heresy), for all
installations, TN, TT, and IT, the higher the
resistance between the ground rod and the earth,
the better the equipotential environment!  The
better the equipotential environment, the better
the protection against electric shock.

I have prepared a paper on this subject.  Actually,
it is just a part of the objective of the paper:
derivation of the grounding resistance of the
equipment.  If you are interested in a copy,
please send e-mail.  The paper is intended for
presentation, so, for reading it is a bit terse --
possibly too much so for good understanding of why
the PE connection to ground is not critical to
safety.

Best regards,
Rich