As I read this thread, a couple of the postings stick out in my mind.

For instance, one of the messages says that the NEC gives an electrician the
right to unplug an un-NRTL-marked piece of equipment.  Another message
states that the NRTL's mark is the proof of product safety.

Courtland's original question asked about products that were not NRTL
marked.  I want to follow that a little more.

His original posting considers a product that is safety tested by a third
party lab.  The product has passed the third party safety certification.
However the lab is not an NRTL.  So the product just says "Conforms to UL
1950" or some similar verbage.

1. Are other certifications from other labs, such as A2LA and/or NVLAP
allowed as long as there is a test report?
2.  Does it matter what the voltage rating of the product is?
3.  For products with external AC power supplies, would the NRTL mark need
to be on the supply and the product?  Or the supply only?
4.  Does it matter where the product is used? (home, farm, factory ...)

If the answer to the above questions are "No", "No", "Yes" and "No" then,
theoretically, every piece of electronics in use in the United States would
have been NRTL tested and marked.  The tone of the answers in this thread
sounds like this is true.  But I believe it isn't.  Am I whacked here?

Chris Maxwell
Design Engineer
GN Nettest
6 Rhoads Drive, Building 4