so if we called it an RJ-48C, would that be better ??

At 04:56 PM 12/20/2001 , John Shinn wrote:

Although it may suprise some, and I may get flak, but
an RJ45 connector is an specific configuration used
exclusively for a programmable data connection.  It
has a specific wiring configuration.  The "RJ"
stands for Registered Jack.  This is an FCC designation
of that specific configuration.

There is nothing against using an 8-pin modular plug/jack
for 10Base-Tor 100Base-T, or even microphone inputs
to my Ham radio, but do not call it a RJ45.

Now, yes, there are several vendors that produce shielded and
filtered 8-pin modular jacks.  I remember using them and
working with several vendors a few years ago, but I would
suggest you look at the website or catalogs of the major
connector suppliers.

John Shinn, P.E.
Manager, Lab. Operations.
Sanmina-SCI