Cecil,
Ken is right, it could be a host of problems.  Have you check the setup for
ground loops?  The way you describe it, I suspect you are using a single
pair of power/ground plane on a multilayer board that did not isolate your
motor-driver-power/ground from your control electronics ground.

Check your grounding scheme for common impedance coupling.

Tim Foo

                      Ken Javor

                      <ken.javor@emccomplian         To:
<cecil.gitt...@kodak.com>, <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>

                      ce.com>                        cc:      (bcc: Wan Juang
Foo/ece/staff/npnet)
                      Sent by:                       Subject: Re: Motor Noise

                      owner-emc-pstc@majordo

                      mo.ieee.org

                      12/14/01 05:20 AM

                      Please respond to Ken

                      Javor

Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>

12/14/01 05:20 AM

Not enough info for me to weigh in with any kind of certainty.  I do know
from personal experience that if you use solid state switches to control
motor operation by applying a pulse train (PWM) rather than continuous
voltage control that will generate big spikes as the inductance of the
motor opposes the current change inherent in the pulse rise-time.  This is
mitigated by slowing the rise-times sufficiently that the L di/dt product
is manageable.

cecil.gitt...@kodak.com

12/13/01 10:04 PM
From: Cecil A. Gittens

All ...... specifically Senior EMC  Team Members.

I am having a problem on the  power control board, in the motor control
ckt.  when we turn the motors on.

This condition creates significant noise spike on my entire ground plane,
along with the other power ckts, this needs to be cleaned up for signal
integrity issues, even more then EMC reasons at this time.

Anyone can feel free to stop in and give me some ideas.

Best regards,

Cecil