[SNIP]

The results MAY be different.

If you have an analog swept measurement system, then the observation
(resolution) bandwidth is swept continuously across the span range. You will
see everything (as long as the sweep rate is slow enough to allow the
detector to properly respond).

If you have a stepped (hopped) measurement system, it is possible to specify
a resolution bandwidth and a step size which allows for unviewed "gaps"
between the sampled frequencies. The right way to use a stepped tuning
system is to specify a step size that's no more than half the resolution
bandwidth. And you have to dwell at each step frequency long enough for your
detector to properly respond.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis