From: Joan Vicent Castell <cast...@tsc.upc.es>
To: Muriel Bittencourt de Liz <mur...@eel.ufsc.br>
Cc: EMC-PSTC List <emc-p...@ieee.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: physics behind EMI powerline filter

>Hello Muriel,
>
>If you add a reactive filter in a line what you conceptualy do is a short
circuit (if paralel capacitor) or an open circuit (if serial inductor) at
certain frequencys (the frequencys you want to regect). This transforms the
line in a sort of dipole (if open) or loop (if short) that can
>radiate the energy of the interference. That sort of antenna will be far in
general from being adapted to the interference generator so you will have
reflections as well.

>So I thing you are right, a filter can increase radiation and can increase
internal noise.

>Solutions:
>
>1_ Disipative filters (with ferrites) are not reactive but resistive at the
frequency of the interference so you can minimize reflections and antena
behave.

>2_ Mounting the filter in a way that minimizes the lengh of cables carrying
interference.

>But, ...
>
>The filters regect between 100kHz to 30MHz and no more (the ones I've seen)
and the radiations are measured between 30MHz and 1GHz. So whith filter or
without the radiations of interest (the ones that can make you fail the
test) are the same.

>I'm talking theory and I know real live have surprises. If someone out
there have had an experience of increasing radiation when adding a filter
I'm sure will say something.

>And a little reflexion to think over:
>
>You can have a 10.000 V generator. No energy will flow out if you let it
open circuit. Can't  you apply the same concept to the energy of the
interference?

>Regards,
>
>Joan Castell
>UPC University
>Catalunya.
>

>En/Na Muriel Bittencourt de Liz ha escrit:
>
>> Hello Group,
>>
>> I have a "long-time" question, concerning the energy issues in a EMI
powerline filter.

>> I'll put a case, and ask the question after.
>>
>> This is the case:
>>
>> - When trying to minimize the conducted emissions from a electrical
equipment / circuit, one of the things to do is to put a EMI filter at the
power entrance. This filter can be from a manufacturer (ready filter) or you
can make one (with common mode inductors, capacitors, inductors).

>> This are the questions (they arearelated, i.e., complete each other):
>>
>> - What, physically speaking, happens to the EMI energy that leaves the
equipment when I add a filter??? When there is no filter, I understand that
the energy goes to the mains?? Does the filter reflect the EMI energy,
keeping it "arrested" inside the equipment?

>> - Thinking under the light of the principle of energy conservation, what
happens to the EMI energy when I add a filter?? It cannot be lost...

>> - ... And, supposing that the energy keeps arrested inside the equipment,
isn't it worse for radiated emissions?? i.e., it can increase the level of
radiated emissions??