The technique I use is to set up a signal generator to receiver connection
as follows:

Sig gen to short cable to 3 dB pad to 3 dB pad to short coax to receiver

I set my reference, then open the junction between the two 3 dB pads, insert
my cable, and read my new value. The 3 dB pads minimize the possible
problems of signal generator, cable and receiver impedance irregularities.

Actually, I use a spectrum analyzer and a sweep generator. That way, I
create a continuous sweep of the frequency range. That may be overkill for
cables, but this technique also is fine for amplifiers, filters, switches,
couplers and attenuators.

For cables, I keep my emission (small signal) cables apart from my immunity
(high power RF) cables. I buy lowest RF loss cables with low-power ratings
(cause they're cheaper), so I don't want to ever pump strong RF in my
emission cables. I characterize my emission cables annually.

Finally, every month or so, when I get some time to neaten my lab a bit, I
try to check each coax cable to be sure the connectors are tight and there
is no obvious mechanical damage. This inspection doesn't take very long,
since I keep all of my cables coiled and hanging on plastic "garden-hose"
hangers (the hangers are cheap and they have a built-in "tray" that hangs
the coax with minimum stress).

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis