To the group,

I am seeking advice as to the best methods of protecting a Public Address
system
against recurring lightning damage. The system uses several commercial PA
amplifiers, each driving several speakers at indoor and outdoor locations.
There are
also several locations where microphones can be plugged in. The longest speaker
wires may be up to 250 yards long. It is believed that the charge is being
coupled to
the speaker wires where it then returns to ground at the amplifier location
within the
building, destroying the solid state devices within the amplifier. A technician
has
added fuses to all external microphone inputs and speaker outputs. While these
have blown several times during storms without obvious damage to the amplifiers
it
is my belief that fuses are generally too slow to protect semiconductor
devices. I am
seeking advice as to surge suppression devices.
System particulars are as follows:

1) The PA amplifiers have 70 volt outputs. All speakers are transformer coupled.

2) All microphones use standard XLR connectors. They plug into metallic conduit
mounted jacks at locations inside and outside the building. The outside
microphones
are unplugged during storms.

3) The amplifiers are located on the second floor of the building. Each
amplifier is
dedicated to a set of speakers at one location. The amplifier driving the
longest wires
is the one which most often has to be replaced.

4) The building is in a location known to be susceptible to lightning activity.
Electrical
appliances have been destroyed on at least two occasions.

5) All protective grounding efforts to date have been made to the conduit. I am
recommending that this be supplemented by driven rods.

It is pretty easy to buy commercial surge suppression devices for the ac lines.
I feel I
need advice as to the best methods to protect the audio inputs and outputs.

For the 70 volt outputs I am thinking of using gas tubes to earth where the
wires
enter the building supplemented by MOV, Tranzorb, or other devices near the
amplifier location. I welcome suggestions as to device types.

For the microphone inputs I am thinking of using semiconductor transient
voltage
suppressors near the amplifier. Again, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Scott Lacey
sco...@world.std.com