Chris,
what is the Stirling cycle?
short tongue in cheek reply: a well kept secret!

in truth it is an external combustion engine which uses the thermal expansion
and contraction of gas to produce motion.

typically the system is sealed,
there is a 'hot' end and a 'cold' end,
The energy input in the form of the temperature differential can be extracted
as work from a piston and crank.
Alternatively put work into the shaft and you can maintain a temperature
differential......

try searching the web for Stirling cycle

the amount of information available has increased significantly in the past
year or so

there is hope :-)

I believe people under estimate the incoming energy that penetrates the cloud
cover. I don't have figures but I think long wave infrared reaches the ground
through clouds. It can be focused by solar collectors.

The oil/gas/electricity utilities and their PR departments would like us to
believe we are helpless and dependant on their massive infrastructure.

I believe they make sure we have the limitations of photovoltaic cells and
rechargeable batteries rammed down our throats to discourage independent
thinking.

Electrolysis, fuel cells, flywheels, solar collectors, stirling engines, wind
and wave power, all are coming and will be usable on a small scale by
individual households.
I plan to power/heat/cool my residence with solar energy and disconnect the
utility lines in the foreseeable future.