<1615323...@snellwilcox.com>, duncan.ho...@snellwilcox.com wrote:
>Has anyone ever used a combination of metals not listed in annex J of
>EN60950 for a protective earthing connection? If so can anyone suggest a decent
>source of information on electrochemical potentials for various materials.
>
>The particular materials in question are tin plated copper on zinc passivated
>steel. Can anyone advise on the electrochemical potential of such a connection?

I did an investigation on this because there was an error in the table
in earlier editions of 60950 and TC92 wanted to copy the table and error
into 60065.

The real corrosion experts say that the Annex J table is useless! These
electrochemical potentials are measured under laboratory conditions with
no contamination and no ions present except those involved in the
measurement. In real life, there is dissolved oxygen, chloride, sulfate
and maybe nitrate ions, with carbonate of course. Under those
conditions, in some cases corrosion does not occur when the table
predicts it, but does occur when the table doesn't predict it.

In your case, my GUESS is that you are fairly safe with that
combination. You might try searching for textbooks and papers on
corrosion testing. I doubt that there is a very well-informed web site,
but you never know with the web! The world authority on contact
corrosion might be a web enthusiast.
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk