Brian -

The MW represents an NEMA/ANSI magnet wire type.  As I'm
sure you're aware, there are a number of constructional
variations for magnet wire coatings with regard to costing
materials and thickness.  Those meeting some minimum
specifications associated with an MW type will advertise the
wire as such.

If you review the certifications in UL's Recognized
Component Directories (or on their web site) under OBMW2,
you'll get a glimpse of what I mean, though not a lot of
detail is given.  Refer to

http://www.ul.com/database/

select UL Category Code, input OBMW2, and review the
individual certifications for companies.  Unfortunately,
there's not much useful information in the Guide Card for
OBMW2.

As to safety performance, there can be, since temperature
ratings for the magnet wire insulations are tied to the
construction types.  Also, compatibility of materials in
insulation systems for wound components can come into play
with the temperature rating of the system.

For additional information, look at several magnet wire
vendors' web pages.  For instance:

http://www.wiretron.com/

http://www.mwswire.com/

Regards,