A customer called this week and asked what our SIL rating is on one of our
products (Programmable Logic Controller).  I had never heard of a SIL
rating.  I went to the web and discovered SIL stands for Safety Integrity
Level and is addressed in IEC61508.  My impression, from the web search, is
that a SIL analysis would be accomplished on a large manufacturing process
and the outcome would be based on the attributes of all of the components of
the process, i.e.. sensors, controllers, output devices.  I haven't seen
anything on the web that indicates the individual components have a SIL
rating.  Does anyone have any experience with either SIL ratings or IEC61508
who might be able to shed some light?
Dan Kinney
Lead Qualification Engineer
Horner APG, LLC