The issue of sending polonium static elimination devices to our customers
has come up.  It is my understanding that the devices in question, which are
10CFR31.3 devices (<500 microcuries), can be sent, and we need to notify the
federal Director of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards.  In addition,
the customer must comply with the requirements of 10CFR31.5, which deals
with testing, record keeping, transfer, safety documentation, tracking,
reporting theft or loss of material, among other things.  Am I on the right
track here?

Brian Epstein
Sr Regulatory Compliance Engineer
Veeco Metrology