Hello,

We use a Walker Scientific  FGM - 3D1

Ken Hall

-----Original Message-----
From: Pittman, Bud [mailto:bpitt...@lsil.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 11:44 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Magnetic Testing

Although this is not an EMC standard it is related. My lab has been asked to
test our products to the magnetic standards of IATA Packing Instruction 902.
This test determines the ability of a device to change a compass reading.  I
have the regulations and know how to do the test, but do not do it
routinely.  Products that fail this test must be labeled and additional
shipping charges are imposed.   I know that one of our products fails and we
are labeling it.  Fines for non-compliance are substantial, yet I am having
a hard time finding anyone who knows about or complies with this standard.
My questions are:

Does anyone else perform this test, or have it performed on their products?
What kind of results are you getting depending upon product size, shape,
metal content?
Are there exceptions or conditions that would exclude product families from
this regulation.

Any help or discussion would be appreciated.

        Bud Pittman
Compliance Engineer
LSI Logic Storage Systems, Inc. - Wichita KS
bud.pitt...@lsil.com
Tel     316-636-8718
Fax     316-636-8321