From: marti...@appliedbiosystems.com
[mailto:marti...@appliedbiosystems.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 4:14 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Combining of Compliance Engineering and Environmental Health
and Safety

Greetings,

Our company is considering  merging Compliance Engineering with
Environmental Health and Safety.

Compliance engineering is responsible for product safety and EMC as well as
handling product liability issues.

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) develops and implements chemical
regulations.  They focus on toxic substances and chemical regulations.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar organizational set-up?

What are the advantages?

What are the disadvantages?

How could this structure benefit the company as opposed to leaving them as
two separate departments?

Currently, the EHS Department reports to Quality.  Would it make better
sense for EHS Department to report to Compliance versus Quality?

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Joe Martin
EMC/Product Safety Engineer