Hi Keith,

> I do understand Ing. Gert Gremmen's comments, but still wonder how the
> airplane compass I mentioned earlier was interfered with by the
> passenger's laptop.

I really can't say about any specific airplanes compass but I can help try
to understand what can cause such an effect.  Compasses typically shouldn't
be affected by a laptop unless that laptop is in very close proximity to the
compass or the laptop has a large current draw.  I've noticed the compass in
my plane swing when I engage the starter and after the motor is running it
indicates a slightly different heading then before engine starting.  I've
used several laptops in my plane and have never noticed a change in compass
heading, it appears that the compass in my plane is not very susceptible to
such effects.

Of course compasses on large planes are typically remotely located
magnometers which feed information to cockpit displays such as horizontal
situation indicators, radars, moving map displays, air data computers,
sferics devices and so on.  This data feed can be digital or analog but
typically its a databus like the ARINC 429.  I doubt that the compass was
actually effected on this plane, most likely, it was the data link that was
causing problems (we can only speculate at this time).  Since I now work on
radar systems and not airplanes, I feel confident that I am not overstating
the importance of my station in life by saying this is quite a serious
problem and should continue to be addressed to insure there is no loss of
life due to commercial electronics running within a transport category
aircraft.  Remember, when operating in instrument meteorological conditions,
neither the pilots, or the autopilot knows which is up, down, north, east,
south, or west without the flight instruments, navigation receivers, and/or
the compass.

I believe your other points on EMC and safety are well stated.  I've
downloaded your core document and hope to read it and get back to you with
any useful criticisms.