Dan,

I just got DSL service from Verizon in Mass and the second senerio is what I
got. They sent me a self install kit which didn't require anyone from Verizon
to come to the house for the installation. I just waited until I got a message
from them that my line was tied into the DSLAM at the CO and I followed the
installation instructions. When I ordered the service I just told them how many
jacks in the house and how many of them were wall phones and they sent an
appropriate number of filters.

Your original hook up would have required Verizon to do the hook up and unless
I missed something would have resulted in a dedicated line from the wall to the
DSL modem. The way they do it now would allow any jack in the house to be used.

Dave Clement
Motorola Inc.
Test Lab Services
Homologation Engineering