In a message dated 9/12/2002, Scott Douglas writes:

> We use gas tubes in our products for protection against lightning and/or
> surge. We now have an edict to get them out of all of our products. So what
> does one use to provide similar protection without using a gas tube?

Hi Scott:

Well, the answer depends on what sort of signal lines you are trying to
protect and the level to which you are trying to protect them.  The main
attributes of gas tubes are their low capacitance (good for high speed signal
lines) and their ability to carry huge surge currents (good for cases where
there is no other primary protection device).  There are many disadvantages
associated with gas tubes, such as the fail-open mode that you mention and
their slow response.  There are some other, more esoteric phenomena
associated with gas tubes, such as their tendency to have a "glow voltage" in
the transition region where a plasma forms and they get red hot.

In general, I avoid gas tubes whenever possible, due to the disadvantages
listed above.  If your lightning surges are limited to less than a few
hundred amps, you may be able to use an appropriate Teccor sidactor.
However, sidactors have greater capacitance, and this capacitance can be
nonlinear in certain configurations, so you have to be careful that you don't
compromise signal integrity.

In summary, the correct answer to your question would require a more detailed
understanding of the requirements of your particular application.  If you are
willing to provide more information, feel free to post to the group or
contact me offline.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.