Sam -

FWIW, I'll try to add some clarity on the power cross
testing.

The power lines that are collocated with telecommunication
lines are typically medium voltage.  There are both induced
voltages into and metallic power cross to the
telecommunication lines.  The primary protector at a
building entrance limits the voltages available to do harm
to 600Vrms (assumed sinusoidal).  There might also be
secondary protection on telecommunication lines that include
supplemental overvoltage protection that limits the voltage
downstream to even lesser levels.

The 120V and 240V power cross tests are to simulate someone
digging and tearing through both a branch circuit and a
telecommunication line in a stroke.

While much of the telecommunications infrastructure is
buried, I hesitate to say "most" is.  In most new
construction since ~1970, perhaps earlier, it is.  It
certainly isn't in my parents' neighborhood; or probably
most older neighborhoods and business districts, especially
those that are less wealthy than others.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager
Sanmina-SCI Homologation Services