From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 12:24 AM
To: Jim Bacher; Emc-Pstc (E-mail)
Cc: 'tkrze...@genius.org.br'
Subject: Re: EMC E&H close field probes / Mindcruiser

My opinion only, curious to see what others say.  The relationship between
what is measured very close to a source and what is measured at three or ten
meters depends very strongly on the efficiency of the radiating element.
For example, if a chip by itself were radiating intensely close-in, you
would get a very different 3 or 10 m signal than if the chip were connected
to a long path on a PCB, and it would radiate still more if that path had a
discontinuity in the ground plane beneath it (assuming a high enough
frequency) and ground bounce then drove an externally connected cable.  So
my opinion, for what it's worth, is that trying to correlate measured
amplitudes close-in with 3 or 10 m signals is not practical in the general
case of troubleshooting a test item.  The probe is useful for locating the
source of an emission.