in our products we make extensive use of breakers combined with the on-off
switch

they are exclusively magnetic type

thermal breakers work by temperature effects which arise from the heating
effect of the current. There is an unavoidable time factor involved when the
current must first heat something.

magnetic breakers are current sensitive directly, the current flows thru the
solenoid coil to which the moving contacts are attached.

you can expect a magnetic breaker to offer the following advantages:

smaller margin between operating current and trip current, can be as little as
10%

more rapid response time,

response time variable

relatively insensitive to the ambient temperature, much less so than thermal
breakers

possibility of remote operation by auxiliary coil and many other useful
configurations

Try AIRPAX Maryland for expert information on Magnetic breakers, a subsidiary
of Philips.

an unsolicited observation: sorry to hear you have lost the people who designed
the product. Buyers and managers need good engineers to keep them out of
pitfalls like the substitution you have described.