Greg -

In point of fact, no NFPA standards are addressed by federal
law (keep in mind, regulation is not law, even if given the
power of law).  Even 29CFR, as far I have seen, doesn't
outright adopt the Code in toto, but references portions of
it variously as mandatory or recommended.

NFPA 70 is an model/adoption code and no AHJ is under any
obligation to use any version, save as required by
municipal, county or state laws.  Even so, there are some
jurisdictions using NFPA 70-1984 (I don't recall which),
rather than the latest (2002).  Also, AHJs, at their
discretion, may adopt only portions of NFPA 70, mix and
match bits and pieces from various editions, or not use it
at all.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager