Ron,

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses on this one. Here is what I
believe/know.

For cord connected equipment that connects to wall outlets protected with 20
A overcurrent protection devices, 25 Amps is 125% of rated current. 25A X
0.1Ohms=2.5V, safe even in a damp environment. The NEC requires selecting an
overcurrent protection device at 125% of continuous load (210.20 A of 2002
NEC). The rationale is that if an internal conductor shorts to the grounded
enclosure the overcurrent protection device will interrupt the supply and no
damage will occur to the conductors or the enclosure due to I squared X R
heating effects. This 25 A value for a test current is a conservative way to
ensure that the voltage developed across the bonding impedance is of a low
value. MIL-STD 882, System Safety, requires testing bonding impedance at
125% of the rating of the overcurrent protection device and the calculated
impedance must be less than 0.1 ohm. I suspect that the MIL-STD
"boilerplate" worked its way into some industry/UL standards.

Best regards,

Daniel E. Teninty, P.E.

Managing Partner
DTEC Associates LLC

(509) 443-0215
(509) 443-0181 fax
http://www.dtec-associates.com

Streamlining The Compliance Process
While Advancing New Products To Market

This e-mail message may contain privileged or confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose, use, disseminate,
distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment in any way. If you
received this e-mail message in error, please return by forwarding the
message and its attachments to the sender.