Bonjour de Montreal,

Let me point out a couple of things here. I was the Chairman for the 2001
Symposium. The reasons why CDs are used today are numerous for instance:

1- Most of the users (including myself) prefer CDs for its concentration of
information and the search tools.
2- Since the IEEE EMC Society has the rare policy of sending the Symposium
proceedings to every member worldwide (even if they do not go to the
Symposium) and since a limited percentage of members actually go to the
Symposium, each year, the Society saves thousand of dollars of shipping
(especially to places like Singapore) so that every one gets a copy. By the
way things are going, if every Symposium committee would have to send the
printed version to everyone, this policy would have been dropped.
3- Many members who come to the Symposium find the books too heavy to carry
and leave them in Hotel rooms and go away only with the CD.
4- If, like Mr. Foo, someone wants to get a completed printed version,
collated and with page numbers, (and save on toner, paper and more
important, time), he has many choices, participate to the Symposium (best
way), ask someone he knows to purchase another copy on-site and convince him
to carry this heavy weight (was 8 cm thick and 3.33 Kg, 40$ US in Montreal),
ask someone who went to the Symposium and do not want the printed version
anymore or wait after the Symposium and purchase this from the IEEE (a lot
more money involved).
5- It is true that the 2001 Symposium papers on the CD ROM do not have any
page number, but the purpose working with the CD is not to print every page
and recreate the printed version but to find valuable information on a
specific subject and only print the papers relating to this search. We never
anticipated that someone would do that; this is the reason why we did not
include page numbers in our CD ROM.

I am sorry that some IEEE EMC Society members experienced problems with the
CD ROM and the lack of page numbering of the 2001 Symposium CD but I hope
this message will clarify the situation.

Benoît Nadeau, ing., M.ing. (P.Eng., M.Eng)
Gérant du Groupe Conformité (Conformity Group Manager)
Matrox
1055, boul St-Régis
Dorval (Québec)
Canada H9P 2T4