Over the years a number of US MIL standards have been replaced by MIL guidance
handbooks (for instance MIL-STD-454 has been replaced by MIL-HDBK-454). The MIL
standards were full of "shalls" whereas the MIL-handbooks are full of
"shoulds". This shift is rather unfortunate from a contractual point of view
since MIL handbook 454, for instance, states that it cannot be used to place
mandatory requirements and the designer need not comply with the guidance
provided. This seems to be particularly unfortunate since MIL-STD-454
(Requirement 1) was probably the most important souce of MIL personnel safety
requirements. The specifications for numerous US military items, however, still
refer to this guidance handbook as if it is a repository of mandatory
requirements. In reality this seems to me to leave the issue of what the
equipment design actually complies with as completely undefined.

I would like to hear any opinions as to how MIL-HDBK 454 is perceived from a
contractual standpoint. How much freedom do US military equipment designers out
there feel they actually have, given the complete lack of "shalls"?

Dave Palmer, UK