The nature of a CDN is that its purpose is to provide a 150 Ohm source
impedance for the injected rf.  The requirement is specified as an open
circuit potential and a 150 Ohm source impedance.  Since rf signal sources
and amplifiers for our line of work have 50 Ohm source impedance, the CDN
provides another 100 Ohms.

If you were to load a CDN properly for calibration, you would load it with
150 Ohms.  That way the spectrum analyzer is getting the benefit of some
voltage division.  If the open circuit limit is 10 Volts, then the injected
potential into a matched load would be half that, 5 Volts, and the portion
of that 5 Volts that the analyzer would see would only be 1/3, or 1.67
Volts, which would not cause damage.

<mhopk...@thermokeytek.com>, "'Colgan, Chris'"
<chris.col...@tagmclaren.com>, EMC Forum <emc-p...@ieee.org>