The other problem could be that whoever build the chamber did not make the
door.  They buy it off from someone else and the warranty is only one year.
:-)  One year seems to be reasonable period considering that there is a
number of things that can go wrong with moving parts that are constantly
held under pressure.

BTW, 'Be' (Beryllium) is a highly toxic metal that will not get out of your
blood once it enters it.  I would strongly advise anyone cleaning their
Be-Cu finger stocks from exposing themselves to any possibilities of cuts
or abrassions while cleaning these 'fingers'.
I understand the concentrations of Be is low but why would anyone take the
risk of prolonged exposure to Be dust and metal chippings?

Tim Foo

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Cortland Richmond     |
|         |           <72146.373@compuserve.|
|         |           com>                  |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           owner-emc-pstc@majordo|
|         |           mo.ieee.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           02/12/02 01:23 AM     |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           Cortland Richmond     |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->

ieee pstc list <emc-p...@ieee.org>           |
  |        cc:      (bcc: Wan Juang Foo/ece/staff/npnet)
                                          |
  |        Subject: Re: Chamber Doors
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>> Can you share with us what experiences you have had with doors of your
steel
clad chambers? If you could share such things as chamber vendor, hinge
adjustments, door maintenance recommended and performed, warranty claims
and
length of time without problems, that would help us understand the 1 year
policy.  Anyone have any interesting stories? <<

Don,

>From the numbers you gave, I'd say the reason is, the doors are five times
more likely to fail than the chambers. This is reasonable - they are the
only things that move. And I'd say that the causes of failure are more
related to installation practice and maintenance, than to design, so a
one-year warranty will cover problems due to (say) being slightly mishung.
Though workmanship should have its own warranty, if their team installs it.

After a year, door failures are likely almost ALL due to maintenance or its
lack, than to materials and installation. I've rarely seen folks doing
monthly maintenance on the fingers that seal a door.

That's MY two cents.

Cortland