From: James, Chris
Sent: 30 January 2002 10:37
To: 'Tania Grant'
Subject: RE: Cadmium plated hardware and small parts

Cadmium plating has been banned for a long time now viz:

"Current Restrictions on Use
In 1991, Directive 91/338/EEC (the 10 th amendment of the Marketing and Use
Directive (76/769/EEC)) banned the use of cadmium in a range of
electroplated
products such as cooling and freezing equipment and household goods (as set
out in
Annex 2). However, there were exemptions granted to products requiring high
safety
standards in the aeronautical, aerospace, mining, offshore and nuclear
industries.
Exemptions were also granted for safety devices in road and agricultural
vehicles,
rolling stock and vessels and electrical contacts in any sector of use.
Broadly similar
restrictions exist in Finland, Austria and Sweden."

The attached pdf taken from the Europa website clarifies.

Regards,

Chris James
Chris James
Engineering Services Manager