Alex,

If I had a dime for every time a serial device or it's cable caused fits
during EFT...Well I'd still be on the EMC-PSTC group; but I'd be doing
it from the comforts of my woodshop at home because I wouldn't have to
work anymore. (Reference my recent rantings regarding mice,
keyboards...)

I sympathize with your situation completely.  I recommend a few ideas
for consideration:

1.  Go down the hallway and whack the marketing guy who came up with the
idea of running an external I2C device.  Just kidding, we don't whack
people, we hand out a little rubber pig for such occassions.

2.  Is there any way that you can shield the cable and possibly tie the
cable shield to PCB ground?

3.  Do you feel comfortable with the "electrical mass" of your product's
ground plane?  Is it a large plane or just a trace or a grid of traces?
Would there be any way to prototype a small "extra" ground plane within
your device using copper tape or foil?  If there is a way, try to stuff
one in there, connect it to your digital ground at a few points and
connect your I2C filter caps to it.  If you try to shield the cable,
connect this cable shield to your extra ground plane.  If this works
out, there are all sorts of places that can make you a piece of die cut
metal foil to fit in your box. (Orion Industries in Massachusetts comes
to mind.)

My feeling based upon some experience (which pales in comparison to most
of the "Old Ones" on the listserver) is that "electrical mass" is the
key to EFT.  It seems to work better than ferrite, TVS diodes and other
solutions.

"Electrical Mass" is a simple idea...more copper equals more free
electrons which makes it harder for your product's RF potential to
change.  Minimizing RF potential changes is good for EFT, ESD radiated
emissions and your hairline.  (Reference Dr. Howard Johnson's article
"Not All EMC Guys are Bald" in a recent issue of Digital Design News.)

4.  Are you sure that your product is being upset? Or, is the peripheral
being upset and then hanging the I2C bus which then hangs up your
product?  You may have to try filtering at the peripheral end with
ferrites ... at least during testin in order to figure out what is goint
on.

5.  If none of these solutions are possible, a software fix may be the
only solution.  Perhaps you can change your interrupt servicing routine
so that a hung up I2C line can be reset or at least ignored?

Serial peripherals are a PAIN!!!!! and I wish you the best.  Please let
me know if something pans out for you.  After all, they're still a pain
for me and I'm always eager to know what works.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |