Hi Gregg:

>   Let me start by asking one simple question - WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF
>   CERTIFICATION?
>
>   1-  to meet the legal requirement
>   2-  help market the product
>   3-  do the 'right thing'
>   4-  not to kill anyone
>   5-  make sure that the product is nor recalled
>

>   Most companies will answer (4) to "make sure the product is not recalled".
>   This is a GOOD answer - it may not optimized, in terms of immediate cost,
>   but this is the one that I would opt for - particularly if I wanted to sleep
>   at night.

This is what the certification house would like you
to believe.

However, the process of certification is a simple
matter of checking off requirements.  (Have you
looked at a CB Test Report lately?)  There is very
little further looking for hazards, (and there is
a great deal of nit-picking for compliance).

So, certification means compliance with the standard.

To accomplish #4, the standard must be omniscient.

Mere mortals put the standard together.

We wouldn't certify products if there wasn't a legal
requirement to do so.  But, I agree that we expect a
lot more from certification than meeting legal
requirements.  However, we don't get more than
compliance to the standard.

Best regards,
Rich