Brian and others interested -

CSA/UL90950-1 will be discussed in a tentatively scheduled
meeting in April at the UL60950 Standards Technical Panel,
followed by a meeting that includes the UL60950 Industry
Advisory Conference, Canadian Technical Standards Committee
and the Bi-National Working Group.

As to your specific questions:

1) the draft presently includes Clause 7 as is, with a
pointer to Annex NAE, where the Canadian Electrical Code,
Section 57 and portions of the US National Electrical Code
(Articles 810, 820 and 830) are referenced.

2) the DOP is tentatively set for sometime in 2003

3) as to DOW, I quote from the 28DEC2001 UL60950 STP meeting
announcement, "new product submittals through April 1, 2005
will be evaluated using all the requirements in this
standard, or if requested in writing, evaluated using the
requirements in UL60950, Third Edition.  After April 1,
2005, all new product submittals are required to use this
standard.

"Products that were previously certified by Underwriters
Laboratories Inc. to requirements in other existing
applicable standards, such as UL114, UL478, UL1459 or
UL1950, First, Second or Third Editions, may continue to be
certified without further reinvestigation.   However, after
April 1, 2005 any significant changes or revisions made to
such products will be evaluated to this standard."

It is probable that CSA will make similar statements, in the
interest of harmonization.

Item 3 is both beneficial to mature/static designs and
requires an additional bit of caveat emptor.  If components
are allowed to continue certification under older standards,
use in a "new product submittals" may cause additional grief
of reviewing components' suitability to a greater degree.
Good product specifications can offer relief on this issue,
both for the immediate need and to hopefully lead to
attrition of components not clearly compliant with the
latest applicable standard.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager