  From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Bouse, John
  Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 9:20 AM
  To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
  Subject: Zero Crossing Question

  Hi Group,

  Our manufacturing personnel encountered a strange problem:  when the mains
plug used on a
  230V/50Hz equipment that has an internal zero crossing reference
integrated circuit (specifically,
  a CA3059) is reversed (this can occur in countries such as Germany, Italy,
France and Switzerland),
  the zero crossing pulses appear with a 20 millisecond spacing,  rather
than the expected 10 millisecond
  spacing.

  Harris or Intersil IC's work properly regardless of the mains polarity. ON
Semiconductor IC's appear
  to be polarity sensitive. They will produce the proper number of pulses
with only one mains polarity.
  The incorrect spacing of these zero crossing pulses affects the normal
operation of the equipment.

  Has anyone encountered and, hopefully, solved this problem?

  Regards,
  John Bouse
  PKI