Reposting without attachment. Sorry group I'll get the hang of it. For those
who have provided response to date, thanks much

I wrote - We are working some responses to OSHA and would like to ask for some
industry response from the Product Safety group (EMC welcome to respond too).

Just looking for a quick statement on the Value of using a Non-NRTL firm for
testing and/or certification (Listing).

Statement: Non-NRTL laboratories can provide "Listings" and publish the
customers (thus "Listing"). However, based on OSHA law, NEC requirements,
Retailer specification, and other MOU/MRA with Canada/EU, it would not seem to
be a significant accomplishment to be "Listed" or "Labeled"  by a non-NRTL.

In a quick paragraph, would you provide your opinion on the value of a Non-NRTL
Listing Certification. Thanks Much

Chris

The following is from Richard Fairfax (reply to one of 4 questions) - OSHA's
Director Directorate of Compliance Programs which states that Electrical
products in the workplace must be Listed or Labeled by an NRTL to meet OSHA Law.

Question 4: Do items identified in 1 through 3 above make the machine
non-compliant with OSHA, NEC or both?

As defined at 29 CFR 1910.399(a)(1) an installation or equipment is acceptable
to the Assistant Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of Subpart
S:
(i) If it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or labeled, or otherwise
determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing laboratory (NRTL); or
(ii) With respect to an installation or equipment of a kind which no nationally
recognized testing laboratory accepts, certifies, lists, labels, or determines
to be safe, if it is inspected or tested by another Federal agency, or by a
State, municipal, or other local authority responsible for enforcing
occupational safety provisions of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and found
in compliance with the provisions of National Electrical Code as applied in
this subpart.
Therefore equipment must be listed, labeled, or certified by a NRTL. As we
understand the conversation of my staff and you, the equipment was not
certified by NRTL, it is a violation of OSHA standard 1910.399 (a)(1).

To keep apprised of such developments, you can consult OSHA's website at
http://www.osha.gov. If you have any further questions, please feel free to
contact the Office of General Industry Compliance Assistance at (202) 693-1850.

Sincerely,
Richard E. Fairfax, Director
Directorate of Compliance Programs
cc: Regional Administrator, Region II