From: am...@westin-emission.no [mailto:am...@westin-emission.no]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 10:48 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Surge - injection point on screened cable

According to IEC/EN 61000-4-5, the surge pulse shall be injected onto a
screened cable 20 meters from the DUT.

We have a fire alarm system with 20 detectors connected on the same screened
cable, 1.5 meters between each detector. We have been told from the local
test lab that we have to add a 20m cable between each detector in order to
surge test each detector.

I'm sure our local cable distributor like that idea ... , but do we really
have to do this ? Why is this 20 meters cable needed ? Is it to induce the
surge pulse from the screen into the cable lines?

The 20 detectors make a total cable distance of 30 meters and the screen is
continuous. Is it possible to insert a pulse in the beginning of the cable
and test all detectors simultaneous ?

Regards
Amund

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/