OK, I'll get more specific. I have an external interconnecting cable that
contains hazardous voltages.  Because of the application, in the USA I must
use UL Listed CL3P cable which is rated for use in risers and air handling
spaces (smoke requirements of the National Electrical Code). The insulation
system of a standard CL3P cable consists of the wire insulation and external
jacket, and the sum thickness is 0.4 mm. It is not clear that the insulation
parts are constructed of the same material. I must determine if the cable
complies with the reinforced insulation requirements of UL60950/EN60950, or
if I need to have a special cable constructed. Someone mentioned that the
two insulations must be the same material in order for the system to be
classified as reinforced. I cannot find that requirement in the standard.
Nor can I find any statement that says that a two part insulation system
must consider one part to be basic insulation and the other part to be
supplementary insulation. Frankly, I can find nothing in the standard that
indicates why the particular construction of this cable is not allowed to be
considered as reinforced insulation. The only issue at hand, it appears, is
that it must be shown that the insulation is mechanically durable in the
intended application. That is where I rely upon the the UL Listing - they
seem to believe that it is perfectly acceptable for a 300V interconnection
application - at least the kind that my equipment will employ.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Richard Woods
Sensormatic Electronics
Tyco International