What's that all aboot?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Greenwood [mailto:jagre...@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 1:01 PM
To: douglas_beckw...@mitel.com; John Woodgate
Cc: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: English vs. American - very off topic, but in line with

even better

Nice toque, Eh?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of
douglas_beckw...@mitel.com
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 10:53 AM
To: John Woodgate
Cc: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org

Eh?

John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>@majordomo.ieee.org on 10/25/2002
11:01:45 AM

Please respond to John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>

Sent by:  owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org

To:   emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
cc:

I read in !emc-pstc that Jacob Schanker <schan...@frontiernet.net> wrote
(in <001301c27c1f$b550d880$6401a8c0@net1>) about 'English vs. American -
very off topic, but in line with current thread Re: Definition ?' on
Fri, 25 Oct 2002:
>Back in March 2000, I wrote the following piece for The Rochester Engineer
>magazine. I think it fits in nicely with the current "Definition ?" thread
>contrasting English English with American English.

It's 'British English', not 'English English'. Professional translators
recognise them as two closely allied but distinct language variants, as
are Australian and South African English. It is important to translate
from, say, German, into the right one for the client.

US barbecue, British barbecue, Aus barbie, SA braai, for example.

I am not a professional translator, but I work in technical writing and
standards writing with people from both sides of the Pond, so I tend to
be able to switch from one to the other. Many of my US colleagues can
also do that. We NEVER know which terms to use when addressing
Canadians, and one Canadian colleague confirmed that each Canadian
citizen picks his or her own selection from the two variants. (;-) There
are also a few Canadian English words.
http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/