Paul,

Table 2N of UL 60950 applies to Creepage (spacing along the surface of a
PWB), not Clearance (through air) on a suitably coated PWB.  Keep in mind
that you have to jump through some test hoops in order to use these reduced
spacings.  If the pins on the connector are not suitably coated, you have to
use the values in Table 2K per my comments below.

To determine Clearance, it's necessary to know the following variables:

- Circuit type (hazardous, SELV, TNV, limited current, etc.)
- Insulation Type (Functional, Basic, Supplementary, Double, Reinforced; see
Table 2G)
- Peak voltage across the insulation
- Nominal mains supply voltage (I'm assuming it's -48 Vdc in this case)
- Telecommunication network transient voltage (800 V for TNV-2, 1500 V for
TNV-1 or TNV-3, or 2500 V)
- Pollution Degree (1, 2, or 3)

With these values, go to Table 2K (in the case of Secondary Circuits) to
determine the minimum Clearance.

To determine Creepage (spacing on the surface of the PWB), it's necessary to
know the following variables:
- Circuit type (hazardous, SELV, TNV, limited current, etc.)
- Insulation Type (Functional, Basic, Supplementary, Double, Reinforced; see
Table 2G)
- RMS voltage across the insulation
- Pollution Degree (1, 2, or 3)
- Material Group (I, II, III, IIIA, IIIB)

With these values, go to Table 2L to determine the minimum Creepage.

Distance through insulation is more straightforward, you need to know:

- Circuit type (hazardous, SELV, TNV, limited current, etc.)
- Insulation Type (Functional, Basic, Supplementary, Double, Reinforced; see
Table 2G)
- Peak Working Voltage

If the Peak Working Voltage does not exceed 71 V, there is no requirement
for distance through insulation.

If the Peak Working Voltage exceeds 71 V, the following rules apply:

- For Functional Insulation and Basic Insulation there is no requirement at
any Peak Working Voltage for distance through insulation;
- Supplementary Insulation or Reinforced Insulation shall have a minimum
distance through insulation of 0,4 mm.

As you can see from the above, there are many combinations involved.  There
is no simple rule of thumb, you have to go through the exercise for each
circuit type.  I find it helpful to come up with a matrix listing the
circuit type on the x and y axis, then fill in the required Insulation Type,
and then the required spacing.  Do this for Clearance, Creepage, and
Distance Through Insulation.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dave Lorusso
Lorusso Technologies, LLC
"Your NEBS, Product Safety and EMC Solution"
www.lorusso.com
512.695.5871 (phone)
512.233.2939 (fax)