Joe -

The 72Vdc issue was an attempt to explain the TNV-2 aspect,
since that clearly exceeds SELV limits.

The "influences of polarity" is intended to address
miswiring and tends to force some type of reverse polarity
protection (diodes, connectorization or something more
sophisticated).

CO battery plant tolerances are generally not adequately
addressed in IEC60950, but an attempt to address the issue
is in the third dashed paragraph of Subclause NAB.2 of
CSA/UL60950, 3rd ed.  These values are largely derived from
ANSI T1.315.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager