Hi Brent,

I had the same problem when I designed mine.  By using square stock,
which is great for building a log-p, I was  not able to get the
impedance necessary to make it look 50 ohms at the driving end(but
close enough to keep the VSWR < 2:1).  I was also trying to push the
limits on gain and size.  In any event, I finally wound up measuring
the characteristic Z of the square stock transmission line.  At
close spacing the formula is Zo=377(w/l) for l/w>10.  w is the
spacing and l is the thickness of the rod.  If l/w is <0.1 then use
Zo=120*cosh-1(w/l)  or Zo=276*log(2w/l).  If you are in the area of
w=l then use Zo=sqrt(L/C) where L is the inductance per unit length
and C is the capacitance per unit length.  Measure these on your HP
impedance or network analyzer.  This gets you very close.  Good
luck!  Give me a call if you would like more info.

Best Regards,

Jim

Jim Conrad
Conrad EMC Consulting