In a former job, I prevailed on them to follow (mostly) a rule of 100 mils
clearance between any inner OR outer layer conductor, and conducting
objects directly exposed to ESD. This, after a helpful layout designer
decided to improve things by adding internal ESD traces interlaced with
power and ground. (Don't do that.)

However, the problems I've seen with clearance to surge and power-cross
were associated with clearance to *vias* (and inside relays - a different
matter) on the surface. The epoxy and FR4 material inside were more than
sufficient to insulate against 2500 volt surge test voltages, even with 5
mil thickness.

I believe the thread you recall was with respect to double insulation IN
TRANSFORMERS.

To prevent warping, keep the stackup symmetrical. Each layer should be
matched by one the same thickness, on the other side. You will also need to
insure copper is pretty evenly distributed.

Cortland