Try this.

  For flat electrodes, at sea level, and normal temperatures;
eliminating such factors as humidity, dust, illumination, and
the electrode materials; the molecules of the gases that
compose common air, get ionized in the presence of an
electric field of about 30KV/cm.

  So, since - electrode shape, barometric pressure, temperature,
humidity, dust, presence of photons, and composition of the
materials and shape of the electrodes, as well as the
composition of the 'air' (gases), and also any other local
(competing) electromagnetic fields - can all affect the definitive
voltage that will jump a given gap - is it any wonder that the
standard includes what otherwise appears to be a lot of
slop.

  Stephen