From: McKinney, Alex [mailto:mckinne...@ems-t.com]
Sent: March 14, 2002 11:51 AM
To: IEEE EMC-PSTC Forum (E-mail)
Subject: IP67 Water Ingress Testing

All,

We are currently working on a new handheld product that will be tested
for
IP67 Water Ingress (1 meter submersion for 30 minutes) and we are trying
determine the safety impact of not including the lithium ion battery
pack as
part of this rating.  This product will be UL60950 Listed.  One question
that has also been asked of me is whether this battery pack needs to be
vented.  A few lithium ion cell manufactures whom I have researched on
this
say that the pack should definitely be vented.  If vented then the IP67
rating on the battery pack is definitely out of the question without
designing some costly pressure release mechanism.

I guess my ultimate question is, how safe is a lithium ion battery pack
if
water is introduced in to the circuit?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,