        From:   Summers, Chet [SMTP:csumm...@pelco.com]
        Sent:   Tuesday, June 25, 2002 10:23 AM
        To:     Emc-Pstc (E-mail)
        Subject:        mechanical deformation rating under repeated impact

        Hello group,

        I am looking for a standard (or standards) that rates the repeated
impact or
        "detent withstand" of small electronic enclosures (app. one cubic foot
or
        less in volume).  I am aware of UL's impact rating test, but I am
looking
        for something a bit more aggressive.  Is there such a standard or
guideline
        published that characterizes the amount of deformation an enclosure
exhibits
        under repeated hammer blows, for example?  The object delivering the
blow is
        not limited to hammers, it could be any such "weapon"--lead pipe, pipe
        wrench, ice pick, screwdriver, combat boot(?)...   Any info or direction
is
        much appreciated!

        Chet Summers
        Compliance Engineering Group