Martin,

The key issue is the competence of the testing and demonstration of
compliance to both EMC and Product Safety requirements.

The standard to use is ISO/IEC 17025, "General Requirements for the
Competence of Calibration and Testing Laboratories".

This is the foundation for acceptance of testing worldwide including most
mutual recognition agreements.  As recognized by various goivernments and
and industries as well as ISO and IEC in the Introduction to ISO/IEC 17025:

"Certification against ISO 9001 and ISO 9002 does not of itself demonstrate
the competence of the laboratory to produce technically valid data and
results.
The acceptance of testing and calibration results between countries should
be facilitated if laboratories comply with this International Standard and
if they obtain accreditation from bodies which have entered into mutual
recognition agreements with equivalent bodies in other countries using this
International Standard.  The use of this International Standard will
facilitate cooperation between laboratories and other bodies, and assist in
the exchange of information and experience, and in the harmonization of
standards and procedures."

Hope this helps.  ISO 9000 was not the answer years ago and it still is not.

Larry Gradin

*  Larry Gradin, PE, QMS-LA
*  Email:  lgra...@integrity-solutions.org   &  l.gra...@ieee.org
*  Integrity Solutions Group, Inc.
*  6419 Bridgewood Terrace    Boca Raton, FL 33433 USA
*  Phone 561-395-6007    Efax: 978-285-6589
*  Web Page http://www.Integrity-Solutions.org
Remember -  Quality depends on Integrity, Attention To Detail,
         Cost-Effective Action, and Commitment -- not buzzwords.