I read in !emc-pstc that don_borow...@selinc.com wrote (in
<ofae2c2f5d.695d080d-on88256cbc.00568...@selinc.com>) about
'Applicabilty of Flicker Standard' on Tue, 28 Jan 2003:

>We are trying to figure out the applicability of 61000-3-3 Flicker Standard
>to the power supply in our product. We have a device that may be "hard
>wired" into the public low voltage (230 V) mains under certain
>circumstances, and has no mains switch. Given this, it appears that the
>maximum relative voltage change dmax shall not exceed 4% (61000-3-3,
>Section 5, Limits, condition a.) since it is "energized immediately on
>restoration of supply after a power supply interruption".
>
>Question 1: Does the 4% dmax include the inrush upon restoration of supply,
>or does it apply only to voltage changes caused by changes in current
>demand during operation (after inrush)?

It includes the inrush current. The standard is NOT only about flicker;
this impression is due to the less-than-generalized title. It is about
all sorts of **voltage changes** impressed on to the supply by loads.
See the Amendment for better information on inrush current.

>To make things even messier, the device in question is a control for a
>power distribution recloser (over 1 kV). During a fault, it might demand
>enough current to exceed 4% dmax when operating the recloser. The public
>low voltage powering the control would almost certainly be derived from the
>high voltage system being switched by the recloser.
>
>Question 2: Do we need to meet the 61000-3-3 limits during recloser
>operation (most likely fault conditions)?

Probably not if it is installed within a utility's site. AIUI, any low-
voltage supply there is not a 'public' supply. If it can be installed in
a user's premises, then the low-voltage supply might not be derived from
the MV supply being switched (in a big hospital, for example, which has
two separate HV or MV supplies for reliability). In that case, the
standard applies.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/