Re: High-currrent resistors and inductors    1/27/03

What we have found to work well is a combination of a resistor bank of open
helical resistors which we purchase from Post Glover (www.postglover.com).
Typically the total resistance is approximately 30 ohms which can be tapped
off in 1 ohm steps to form various series parallel combinations. We then have
air core inductors custom wound with multiple taps to allow for adjustment of
the power factor. I would expect that most transformer companies can wind this
type of inductor for you. If you have any further questions feel free to
contact me at my email address below.

John

Lou Aiken wrote:

>This sounds like something that won't be found on the shelf.
>
>I have seen some small AC welding machines where the output current was
>adjustable by increasing and decreasing an adjustable air gap designed into
>the magnetic path of the flux cutting the output winding. The flux path in
>the primary remains unchanged. They make a H of a noise under load. I have
>not the slightest idea how much the scheme would or could change the phase
>angle but of course it did.
>
>So, I would ask manufactures of small AC welding machines if they would be
>willing to eliminate the input circuit and furnish such a regulating
>component..
>

>Lou Aiken, LaMer LLC
>27109 Palmetto Drive
>Orange Beach, AL